Sandfield Tower is a 3 level Grade II listed building in the south of Liverpool, set back from the main road and lost in time compared to the neighbouring houses. Now derelict and fire damaged throughout most of the building, it is left to the mercy of the weather and elements from many of the open windows and part missing roof.
The original name for this building was called Sandfield - The Tower due to its location and the fact that there is a beautiful sandstone tower rising through the centre of the building but has more recently been known as 'Gwalia'. A last ditch effort is in place to highlight the plight of this listed building, its poor state and the unusual history surrounding the building, now lying empty save for the mercy of time.
Sandfield Tower was built in 1851, and by 1857 it was owned by Joseph Edwards, a South American merchant for use as a private Villa. It was then owned from 1880-1881 by Miss Alice Houghton who married William Kinsman and they then owned it from the years 1882-1890, Ralph Lyon Broadbent owned the property from 1891-1900.
When the building was then sold, it was converted in to the Fourth Church of Christ the Scientist.
"...Preservation of our Historical Buildings as otherwise they will be lost to the history books...."
The Church then secured permission to erect the building on the corner of the site, now a private day-care centre/nursery. Sandfield Tower subsequently fell vacant after the Church moved into this new building, and it was then sold on to its present owner. The building is located on the main outer ring road in Liverpool, West Derby on Queens Drive. Set back from the road and in its own plot of land, it once commanded the view of Sandfield Park well before the built up area that surrounded it. Please note this building is private property and on private land.
Both English Heritage and Liverpool City Council are aware of the the current state of the building and naturally, people from Liverpool will have seen the 'Stop the Rot' campaign which has been featured in the Liverpool Echo on many occasions. In 2001, the City Council employed a Buildings at Risk Officer to tackle the problem of delapidated listed buildings. Properties have been identified and prioritised for action. Money has been provided by the City Council and Northwest Development Agency to enable the Buildings at Risk Officer to use the statutory powers available.
As a priority building, Sandfield Tower has been subject to such measures. We can only hope that this building is saved and returned to its former glory, standing at the entrance to Sandfield Park. Today, Sandfield Tower stands there unloved.